Clicking on any embedded ad is appreciated... for it helps support the costs of our Canonsburg Friends sites.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Two Blocks of Pike Street










































On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:19 AM, LINDA GOWERN CARTER wrote:
Dick, I did not join Canonsburg Friends at Facebook yet, however, I did read some of the entries that you and Jim were sharing and I want to let you know that there were 4 Shoe Stores:  Pollock's, Jackson's, S & S and Kirby's.   Pollock's  was at the other end of Canonsburg of which you can see in Jim's Sulkowski's painting of the Street Car and Alhambra Theater.  Good Luck on your 50th Reunion!
Linda 



Dick Garboski
9:37am Apr 20th
From Facebook
To dickgarbo.friends@blogger.com
 
West Pike Street, Canonsburg PA
Hi, Linda,  thanks for remembering Pollacks and I sure do remember it,  It was were the expensive shoes, like the Bostonian brand were sold.
  Hard to believe, even back then,  the town could support 4 shoe stores?  I guess the same could be said of the two 5 & 10s, three drug stores, two movie houses, five bars and at least  seven clothing stores in the same two block area. 

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM, LindaGowerCarter  wrote:
Exactly!  When I worked in Pittsburgh, years ago, people always asked about that great restaurant in Canonsburg called Colaizzio's on South Jefferson.   We had a few good restaurants/bars for a little town now Canonsburg can hardly support one.  Times change.
Linda 

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Dick Garboski 
<> wrote:
I didn't realize Colaizzio's was so acclaimed.  Back then, I was also partial to the Royal Grill with their french fries with gravy, and if if you sat in a back booth, with the right waitress you could get, now 
please don't tell my Momma,.....a Carlings' Black Label to go with it.
Dick Garboski

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Linda CARTER<t> wrote:
Yes, I agree!  Nothing better than French Fries w/gravy.  A delicacy for sure!!  Yes, I think I was into CC and soda but that was long ago and now it is just Yuengling or an Import Beer.  I know I hung out at the Royal Grill from 1958 - 1962 on Saturday Afternoons.  I guess that was a step up from George's.  Life was good then and it is now except those memories were the best. 
Pictures of the Royal Grill (Click to Enlarge)