Due to postal confusion with another town of the same name, its name was changed to "Eighty Four" on July 28, 1884.
Though the origin of the name is uncertain, it has been speculated that the town was named for the town's mile marker #84 on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. or in honor of Grover Cleveland's 1884 election as President of the United States, Another theory states that the town was named after the year that the town's post office was built, by a postmaster who "didn't have a whole lot of imagination."
CLICK on article to enlarge for easier reading.
Click to Enlarge